I wanted to craft something on my day off, but being that it was my day off I didn't really want to leave the house. So I rummaged through my craft stash and found the awesome buckets I got on sale at TJ Maxx about a month ago. The wheels started turning and I grabbed a garage sale book, Styrofoam balls, which I don't even know why I had them, skewers and paint.
I bought the buckets for the tag on the front, but 7 means nothing to me, so they would undergo a change. I gave the buckets a coat of blue craft paint. Spray paint would have worked better, but again I was not leaving the house, and blue spray paint was not in my cupboard.
Then came the time consuming part. Pull out pages, accordion fold, fold in half, repeat. Til I had a huge pile. Or so I thought. That pile you see was barely enough for one ball. So...back to pull out pages, accordion fold, fold in half, repeat.
After hot gluing on the pages it looked pretty sad. I started to think this was a total waste of time. But I pressed on and continued to fill in the gaps and tried to "make it work," as Tim Gunn would say.
Once I was finally done gluing and folding, I mod podged some scrapbook paper over the number tags, stuck a skewer in the ball and put it through the cardboard barrier I put in the bucket. To cover the cardboard I made a big rosette and called it good. The book-page topiary's now have a place on the tv stand.
*you'll probably see this here and there.