Stop by Lizzy Lynece!

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pillowcase Dress

My friend told me about pillowcase dresses that she was going to make for her daughter. I decided to check them out since in my mind I pictured little girls walking around in cloth trash bags. Well they are a lot cuter than trash bags, and I attempted one for my niece.

I think you are supposed to actually use pillowcases, but I had a bunch of this brown fabric left over, so that's what I started with.

Cut the fabric into two identical rectangles depending on the size of the child. My niece is only 6 months old, so I felt like I was making dolls clothes.

Draw a line on each side for the arm holes. Make sure to take into account the inch and a half you will be folding over for the tie. I did not and ended up having to add fabric because I got all worried it would suffocate her little arms.

Then hem up all of the outside edges...arms, bottom hem, neck. For the neck sew down about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, then fold over about another inch and sew again. This is where you'll thread the ribbon through. Then sew up the sides and you are all done.


I had to include a tag so she would know who gave this to her...(she has 2 other aunts and a crazy-talented dress making G-ma that spoil her).
Just an FYI: My main pet peeve about sewing is all of the measuring. I managed to only measure the overall size of the dress, and eyeballed all of the seams and hems. I think my mom would have slapped my wrist had she seen what was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love reading your opinions and thoughts on a project. If you have a question, look for the answer here in the comments.

Thanks again!
Robyn

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails