I came home from work the other night tired of wearing the same old thing. My friend was recently in a wedding in Hawaii, (so jealous!) and her bridesmaid dress had this awesome pleated collar. I decided to re-create the collar on one of my many plain shirts I wear to work.
I have never been a fan of this shirt. The supposed V-Neck was always stretched and wonky when I put it on. It always managed to show bra straps no matter what tank I put on underneath, and lately when it has been worn, the neckline has been hidden behind cardigans and scarves. It was time for a change.
The update was actually much simpler than I anticipated. After cutting a strip of fabric about 2" by 40" I began to pin and overlap the fabric about every 1 and 1/2 inches. With all of the pins in place I sewed one seam down the middle, making sure to grab the shirt, and a seam on each of the shoulders to tack down the green fabric.
Since the fabric frays really bad I used a lighter to seal in all of the edges.
I also trimmed up some of the pleats that were poking out.
I absolutely love the new neckline and for FREE I have a new awesome shirt to wear to work...and lots of other places.